Reach for the Stars
Reach for the Stars is a social activity and friendship service in the West Midlands for people living with Learning Disabilities. We support all our members to develop, sustain and control their own friendships and own social life.
We are the only service that provides social leisure activities for seven days a week, including evenings and weekends, in a safe and supervised group all around the West Midlands.
Stars also offer Training and Development to enable members to enhance their skills and provide education around health and well-being.
Stars regular activities include:
- Monday Night Disco – Selly Oak Ex-Servicemen Club, 8 Selly Hill Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham, B29 7DL – 7pm -11pm. Admission £1.50, plus money for food and drinks
- Monday Afternoon Coffee Club – Café Nero Corporation Street, Birmingham – 3pm – 5pm. £2 per session, plus money for coffee and a slice of cake
- Eat Well – Learn how to cook healthy meals on a budget – Every Tuesday between 1-3pm at Deelands Hall, Deelands Road, Rubery, B45 9PR. £3 per session. See poster for more details
- R. E. A. P – RE-Ability Program (Psychotherapy Sessions) – Every 1st and 3rd Wednesday, 6pm – 8pm, Bournebrook & Selly Oak Social Club, 13A Hubert Road, Birmingham B29 6DX. Admission £3. See poster for more details.
- Reach Football Sessions – Every Friday at Aston Power League, Lichfield Road, Aston. 11am – 12:30pm. Admission free.
- Reach Walking Group – Fridays, 10:30am-12pm. Meeting point at park off Kings Heath High Street (by the notice board) or access the park via Shutlock Lane, Moseley.
- Bingo – Every last Saturday of the month at Deelands Hall, Rubery. Doors open at 5:00pm and starts at 6:00pm. Admission £4.
- Sunday Lunch Club – The Crown, 290 Alcester Road, Kings Heath. Meeting point: Square Peg at 12:15pm. £7 includes a Sunday Roast and Dessert, plus money for drinks
- Quarterly Day Trips, Quarterly General Meetings and Annual Holidays – Please note: There are sometimes additional activities which occur as and when events come up outside of our newsletter
Reach for the Stars relies on volunteers to facilitate the activities which we offer. If you know anyone who has spare time which they would like to contribute to enable people with disabilities to have a good time and enhance their social skills then please contact us.
The Reach for the Stars service is open to all adults from the age of 18 years old and upwards who have learning disabilities. Potential new members can get application forms for Stars Membership by email, post or by making a telephone request.
The annual membership fee for this year is £40 per member. This can be paid by cash, postal order or cheque made payable to Reach for the Stars. It can also be paid by three monthly installments. The membership fee covers:
- Central Costs
- Volunteer Expenses
- Travel Expenses
Tel: 0121 266 5829 or 07734 882237
Stars Line: 07557 001371 (9am-5pm)